Thursday, July 16, 2015

Blog Post #5 - My Field of Study

Paul. "Neck and Neck". 12/1/2012. via Flickr
Attribution 2.0 Generic
  • My field of study is the Race Track Industry Program (RTIP). The program is split into two disciplines, business and equine management. My current plan is to complete both paths with the business path being completed first.
  • What do students in my program learn how to do?
    • Students from both emphasis are required to take classes in a wide variety of subjects from Race Track Marketing to Human Resources Management. The main focus is on Animal Racing Laws and Enforcement and Race Track Business, Organizations, Structure and Management.
    • In the business path of RTIP, students are prepared for employment in the the areas of race track management, regulation and pari-mutuel racing organizations. Class are required from upper level Accounting, Business Writing, Marketing to Agricultural Business Management and Communicating Knowledge in Agriculture.
    • In the equine management emphasis, students receive a healthy dose of the sciences. Chemistry, Physiology of Reproduction, Animal Nutrition, Genetics are required curriculum along with internship/practicum in training and management of equines.
  • What do people who get degrees in this field usually go on to do for work?
    • Graduates of the RTIP have moved on to serve in a wide variety of positions, not all in the horse racing industry. Alumni from the University of Arizona's RTIP currently hold positions in areas like: trainers, jockey agent, race track operations director, steward, association management, racing judge, and many other positions.
  • What drew me to this field?
    • After 24 years of military service I found myself getting along better with animals than I do humans. Having trained soldiers in preparation for the rigors of combat, I decided to take my love of training and focus it into horse racing. My family has been in the business for some time but it wasn't until near the end of my military career that I seriously looked into this as being my next evolution.
  • Who are the leaders/most exciting people involved in your field right now? Why? These could be individual people or specific companies, organizations, businesses or non-profits.
    • Some of the leaders in the field right now that are UofA alumni.
      • Bob Baffert - trainer of first Triple Crown winner in 37 years, and world class trainer
      • Todd Pletcher - a leading American thoroughbred trainer, winner of four consecutive Eclipse Awards, Kentucky Derby winning trainer
      • Joe Gorajec - Indiana Horse Racing Commission Executive Director
        • Leading the fight in the industry for better regulation in anti-doping
      • Dave Johnson - Vice President and Assistant General Manager of Turf Paradise
        • Currently working with state and local officials in Arizona to increase the number of off-track betting (OTB) facilities
      • Sophia McKee - Vice President of Marketing at Emerald Downs
        • Establishing new and innovative marketing strategies to increase consumer awareness and participation in industry entertainment
  • What are the leading academic/scholarly journals in your field? Where are they published? Give us the names and locations of at least 3.
    • The Blood Horse - A publication of The Jockey Club Information Systems and the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association, Lexington, KY.
    • Daily Racing Form - America's Turf Authority since 1894. New York, NY.
    • Equibase - Formed in 1991 to provide the Thoroughbred racetracks of North America with a uniform, industry-owned database or racing information and statistics. Lexington, KY.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in a little river town in CT and never met a horse till I moved to AZ. My husbands family has horses - they're incredible animals. I can relate to relating to animals better than people. I think people who've survived intense and/or traumatic experiences (war, abuse, etc) often feel that way. But that could just be me projecting. :) but remember how much Tony Soprano loved Pie-O-My?

    Also, an important detail: your blog posts need a properly cited image. I was explicit about this in the intro video for Deadline 2 that I posted in the News feed. Be sure to check D2L News for announcements.

    Don't worry about fixing any deadline 2 posts lacking imagery. But for Deadline 3 and onwards, be sure to include a properly cited image for every blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went ahead and fixed them anyway, sorry for not following directions...both times. I agree with you on events creating my feelings towards humans and I've got to be honest, it really is a trust issue. I have met very few people (in a combat zone or in my neighborhood) that I trust implicitly. It just seems that horses are an open book. If they like you, you know it. If they don't like, you know it. But regardless, you can still earn their respect and become a part of the herd if you deal with them the right way. Humans, well not so much.

    ReplyDelete