Thursday, July 23, 2015

Blog Post #19 - Developing a Research Question

For Blog Post #19 I will be looking deeper into the debates and arguments people in my field are having. I will be looking at some different research questions that I might enjoy finding answers about.

Torley. "THAT is the question... mark!". 8-2-2008. via Flickr
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic
During my many online searches for Project 1, I came across a number of other tidbits of data that caught my attention but weren't in line with my topic. I've gone back and found a few of those that I like to go further down the rabbit hole with.

  • Do trainers give horses time to properly recover in between races?
    • A reason many trainers turn to substances and drugs is to help the athlete recover quicker and get to the next race. The industry is based on money and those that win get the lion's share. Is there a better way than current industry norms?
  • Is the industry's allowing the use of drugs causing inferior animals to breed?
    • Thirty or more years ago, a horse would have a career that spanned nearly a decade. Today, for the winners, that career may span 2-3 years. Once a horse proves it can win on the track, owners quickly put them to pasture and reap the rewards from stud fees (which often eclipse race winnings). If these horses were allowed to run for longer careers, would we weed out genetic deficiencies that we are seeing on a regular basis? Is the shortened career to blame for passing on bad genes?
  • Should the industry be regulated by the USADA?
    • Currently horse racing is legal in 38 states, each with it's own set of rules on everything from drugs to track make up. Would putting all the states under the umbrella of one ruling jurisdiction help or hinder the industry?
  • Is horse racing animal cruelty?
    • While an interesting topic I think there is just too much opinion to ever make an educated decision about this. There is no way to prove one side or the other and the broad nature begs too many follow on questions that would need be answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment