Thursday, July 23, 2015

Blog Post #18 - Reflection on Project 1

In Blog Post #18 I will be reflecting on my work with Project 1.

Antunes, Francisco. "Reflections". 2-23-2008. via Flickr
Attribution 2.0 Generic
  • What challenges did I face during the Quick Reference Card project and how did I deal with them?
    • The biggest challenged I faced was trying to stay completely biased throughout the writing. I did not want any of my personal opinion coming through so the reader could form their on conclusions about the topic. I was able to accomplish this through lots of review by myself and peers. Correcting anything that might sound even a little slanted.
  • What successes did I experience on the project and how did they happen?
    • My biggest success was actually creating an unbiased piece. Any future successes would be anybody who reads it and is able to continue on fact-finding and coming to a logical conclusion. Getting the piece unbiased relied on my peers and myself proofing it for any sliver of opinion on my part.
  • What kinds of arguments, rhetorical strategies, design choices and writing practices did I find the most effective for my project? Why?
    • I think the one big take away for myself is how I laid all the information before me and picked and chose which ones helped best to make my point. Having the map in front of me was a great help, but finding the right path to the destination was a great culmination. There's such much information available that you want to fit into the paper and weeding through it to find the nuggets is a chore. Putting a piece like this together like a puzzle was new for me and also something I'd like to get better at.
  • What kinds of arguments, rhetorical strategies, design choices and writing practices did I find were not effective for my project? Why?
    • My typical style of creating an outline then filling it in as I get the data was semi-helpful but I eventually moved to a different style. While the outline may work for other projects in the future, I found it quite cumbersome for this one. I think it works much better when you all ready have a good idea of what you want to say beforehand.
  • How was the writing process for this project similar to other school writing experiences I've had in the past?
    • The process was similar to other things I've done with short deadlines and a structured process. Though the processes differed greatly there is still a structure to it which I like having as a constraint.
  • How was the writing process for this project different to other school writing experiences I've had in the past?
    • How we approached this project was completely new for me. All of my past work had been based on building a framework than filling in the gaps. I equate this process more to open a puzzle box then figuring out where the pieces need to go.
  • Would any of the skills I practiced on this project be useful in my other coursework? Why or why not?
    • Being open to trying new styles is a big take-away. Just because I was familiar with the old way of doing things, I always opted for it. With time permitting, I can see myself looking to new styles and new approaches with my future work.

No comments:

Post a Comment