Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Blog Post #16 - Reflection on Project 1 Draft

For Blog Post #16 we reviewed two of our peers Project 1 Drafts. I will also be discussing what I've learned from reviews of my own Project 1 Draft.

Peggy2012CREATIVELENZ. "Golden reflections". 1-6-2012. via Flickr
Attribution 2.0 Generic
For this review I was asked to look at both Mark Mellott's and Caleb Wiley's Project 1 Drafts. Unfortunately, Caleb didn't have anything posted at the time; however, I was able to review Mark's QRG on Fracking.

  • Mark provided an incredibly well thought out and put together QRF on fracking. Overall the piece was insightful and provided enough information for anyone to understand the issue. Other than some minor tweaks for clarity and possible moving of ideas for reader ease, I had very little to offer him that he wasn't all ready trying to work through. He stuck with his chosen style throughout the piece and the flow, for the most part, was well structured.
Mark made several key and valuable comments concerning my Project 1 Draft on the use of Lasix in horse racing. I all ready have plans on incorporating many of his comments in my revision. With his insight I am better able to answer the following questions.

  • What do I hope to achieve with this essay? Am I trying to persuade the reader of something? Inform them of a particular perspective? Lead them to take a specific action? How might they know what my goals are?
    • My hope for this essay was to inform readers about the facts surrounding the use of Lasix in horse racing. I am not trying to persuade anyone to one side or the other of the debate. I have tried very hard to share an unbiased look at the controversy as a whole without giving a trace of my own personal opinion. My ultimate hope is that a reader would ingest this information and hopefully dig deeper into it before formulating their own opinion
  • What are the requirements of the assignment? Do I meet them?
    • For this assignment I was tasked with composing a draft of a QRG on the controversy I chose which was the use of Lasix in horse racing. I believe that I have clearly explained the controversy, who's involved and saying what and why people are upset about it. I have also provided key pieces of information to set the basis for the controversy giving the reader an unbiased look at the facts of the drug and what it does. With that, I believe I have meet the requirements of the assignment.
  • Am I making an argument or simply stating the obvious?
    • Actually, I don't believe that I am doing either of these. All my QRG is doing is providing information about the subject of the controversy and allowing readers to make their own opinions.
  • Does my essay have a thesis? Is it easy to locate? Does it reflect my purpose and arguments?
    • My thesis is ensuring you know all the facts before making a decision instead of listening to what others want you to hear. I believe my introduction makes the statement though I make no reference as to what my purpose of writing this QRG is.
  • How do I support my thesis? Do I make specific claims and use compelling evidence?
    • I support my thesis by provided information validated by unbiased industry experts and research organizations. I make no specific claims other than what has been scientifically tested. With those tests, I have included a consensus statement from a panel of expert reviewing the scientific process of those tests. I hope that by stating the facts surrounding the issue it is compelling enough to make the reader want to dig deeper.
  • Are my ideas developed? Do I progress through my argument carefully, patiently, and with enough detail?
    • Honestly, I could probably make this a 400 page paper if given the time and ability to do my own interviews and investigations. I feel the process is too broad brush and doesn't provide nearly the detail I would prefer. It is possible that due to my intimate nature with the controversy I feel compelled to go further and provide more than the QRG style allows.

2 comments:

  1. Jason, I followed the link to Mark's draft but I couldn't find any comments or feedback from you there. Did you email him comments instead? I'd like to look at whatever feedback you offered so I can give you credit for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just verified that the link is to the draft and that my comments are there when you click on the comments block in the upper right corner. There are 3 individuals commenting: Mark, Mike, and myself.

      Delete