Monday, August 10, 2015

Blog Post #50 - Punctuation, Part 2

Playing Futures: Applied..."This is a mirror. You are written a sentence." 3/28/2013
via Flickr. Attribution 2.0 Generic
For this blog I will be revisiting the punctuation section of our textbook and examining four topics within it. I will then read and revise my project 3 draft and reflect on what I've learned.

1. Use a comma after an introductory clause or phrase.

  • This is a style that I use quite often and want to ensure I am doing so properly. The one exception to this is that no comma is required after a short adverb clause or phrase. I was totally unaware of this exception.
2. Use a comma between coordinate adjectives not joined with and. Do not use a comma between cumulative adjectives.
  • I was aware of the rules with coordinate adjectives but learning about the cumulative ones not including the comma was new. I will have to look over the couple of times I have employed this in my draft to ensure I have done it properly.
3. Avoid common misuses of the colon. After such as, including, or for example.
  • I am willing to bet I have committed this misuse, probably multiple times. I was pretty sure that this was a proper use so will have to revisit my work to change any errors with this.
4. Avoid common misuses of the apostrophe. In the possessive pronouns its, whose, his, hers, ours, yours, and theirs.
  • I have previously focused on similar aspect of this and believe it falls into the lazy writing category. I know this rule but sometimes just don't enforce it in my writing. I will have to reread my draft with emphasis on this.
REFLECTION
I never realized how much I didn't know about punctuation. You go through life thinking you have all the rules down pat, but you don't. Commas and semicolons seem to be where I was lacking in knowledge the most. I really did think I knew what I was doing. Ensuring my punctuation is correct will only increase the credibility of my writing.
  • "Building on the lessons already learned can result in quicker, better, and more effective changes."
    • This is an example of the use of a comma between coordinate adjectives. I found a couple instances where I used this and think I now have it grammatically correct.
  • "Countries like Australia, England, France and Canada are dealing with much the same issue as we are here in America."
    • This is an example of the use of a comma between all items in a series. I was pleasantly surprised that when I did incorporate this, I did it correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment