Saturday, August 1, 2015

Blog Post #37 - Reflection on Project 2

For Blog Post #37 I will be reflecting on my own revision process by answering the following questions.
Apionid. "Mirror forest". 1/28/2015. via Flickr
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic
  • What was specifically revised from one draft to another?
    • My revision process started with a rereading for clarity and a couple small changes were made to ensure the proper meaning. Next I moved to the introduction and conclusion with only minor revisions to properly state my thesis without any fluff and wrap up with a profound statement. I next went back and looked at other issues that may be causing the reader some difficulty and further refined sentence structure for ease of reading.
  • Point to global changes: how did you reconsider your thesis or organization?
    • My thesis changed very little. Only minor adjustments for clarity. My audience has been the same throughout so very little was done after the first draft to enhance or reduce that basis.
  • What led you to these changes? A reconsideration of audience? A shift in purpose?
    • I wanted my thesis to be more direct. Instead of focusing on a step by step process, I wanted to have it appear more direct and to the point.
  • How do these changes affect your credibility as an author?
    • Ensuring that I am clearly presenting the data and accurately restating the facts improves my credibility as a writer. Removing grammatical errors, using proper punctuation and speaking in a language and tone familiar to the audience only improves my standing.
  • Point to local changes: how did you reconsider sentence structure and style?
    • The majority of my revision focus was on local changes. Changing sentence structures, removing mixed constructions, emphasis and shortening wordy sentences was a large part of my editing. I wanted my sentences to be shorter and have more emphasis so spent a lot of time doing some wordplay to get things that way.
  • How will these changes assist your audience in understanding your purpose?
    • Hopefully it will make things easier on the reader. I want a clear image in the reader's mind throughout the entire process. I want to keep building upon that image rather than distracting them and loosing bits and pieces due to poor structure.
  • Did you have to reconsider the conventions of the particular genre in which you are writing?
    • No. I had a very clear picture of this from the start and stuck with it throughout the process.
  • Finally, how does the process of reflection help you reconsider your identity as a writer?
    • Firstly, I had to make sure I wasn't wed the piece after the first draft. This made it much easier to go back to it after stepping away and reflecting on what I had written. I still don't consider myself a writer but the reflection process has helped me to ensure my audience is getting the best product I can give them. So even if I am not seeing it in myself, maybe others are and that would be a great advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment