Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Blog Post #41 - Analyzing Purpose

In this blog I will be addressing some questions out of our textbook and providing some detailed answers in relation to my public argument choice.
Giant Humanitarian Robot. "Thinking is Timeless"
1/20/2009 via Flickr. Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic

1. What do I want my readers to do, feel, think, believe, etc. as a result of reading it?
  • I want to lay out the issue with facts so there is no misconception about what the real problem is. Once that is accomplished, I want to give them a "road ahead" that accounts for all the various factions viewpoints and emphasizes a concession minded strategy to get the industry moving forward for the betterment of all parties.
2. Determine "Plausible Actions/Reactions" and "Not Plausible" and fill in the categories with likely and unlikely results of reading my analysis.

  • PLAUSIBLE ACTIONS / REACTIONS
    NOT PLAUSIBLE
    LIKELY
    LIKELY
    The reader will agree with my view of the issue and agree with my assessment of how to deal with it.
    The reader will not agree with my view of the issue but will agree that something needs to be done to move forward.
    The reader will agree with my view of the issue but not agree that my solution is the best for moving forward.
    The reader will not agree with my view of the issue but agrees with my solution of how to deal with it.
    UNLIKELY
    UNLIKELY
    The reader will not agree with my view of the issue but agrees with my solution of how to deal with it.
    The reader will not agree with my view of the issue and by default, my assessment of how to deal with it.

3. Choose one of the likely consequences  and list out possible effects.
  • If readers agree with both my assessment of the issue and how best to rectify it and move forward, here are some possible effects.
    • An industry wide movement to create rules/regulations to govern the issue that satisfy all parties.
    • Create a greater awareness of the issue and move readers to action within their areas of emphasis.
    • Lead to deeper scientific studies creating more data from which to make a more educated decision.
    • Reforming of current rules/regulations which lead to change across the industry.
4. Draft a paragraph that describes the groups of people who are most likely to advance my cause.
  • To make any kind of change it would start with The Jockey Club and TOBA. If they were to push the issue with their state associations, individual states could then put the resolution to committee with the State Racing Commissions. The Jockey Club and TOBA are made up of the leading figures in the industry from the owners, breeders, trainers, jockeys, stewards, judges and associated staff personnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment